Predictive Maintenance: Explained
As the proverb goes, ‘prevention is better than cure’, but prevention can only be done when the symptoms are correctly judged. While all the industries keep themselves updated with the technologies, there are certain methods that they follow for the maintenance of the machinery. One such method of preventing damage and check-up is Predictive Maintenance.
This method lately has been receiving a lot of popularity in the industry with some companies hiring a separate set of professionals for analyzing the performance of the equipment. This process of maintenance helps to keep maintenance frequency to the lowest possible number and helps avoid unplanned reactive maintenance and preventive maintenance whereby the resources are not fully utilized.
Working of Predictive Maintenance Process
As mentioned earlier, predictive maintenance uses condition-monitoring tools and techniques so as to give real-time updates about the equipment’s performance. A major tool used in this field is the Internet of Things Technology (IoT Technology). The IoT allows for various assets and systems to connect, work together, analyze the data and take actions accordingly. It also uses predictive maintenance sensors to discover areas that need attention. It is very important to choose the right technique for condition-monitoring with respect to the equipment and the environment of the asset. It is always advisable to consult experts in the field for condition monitoring.
Predictive Maintenance and its benefits
- With predictive maintenance, there is a reduction of up to more than 50% in the maintenance costs of the assets.
- With regular and timely monitoring, there is a lesser possibility of machine failure or breakdown.
- It helps reduce downtime for repair as regular monitoring and analysis of machine conditions help identify specific faulty areas present in the machine and enables technicians to plan repairs accordingly.
- With the ability to pre-determine the defective areas of a machine needing repair ensure a reduction in the repair time and cost. Thus the company does not need to buy spare parts in stock but can have enough time to order spare times when necessary.
- Predictive maintenance increases the service life of parts.
- Early detection and warning of machine failure prevent destructive failures and accidents thus increasing safety for the workers.
- It also helps in increasing productivity as timely detection of problems and early repair of the parts improve the condition and functioning of the parts.
- Predictive maintenance also increases overall profits for a company as the cost of repair and spare parts get reduced.
Although with a few limitations and specific skills required for performing predictive maintenance, it provides for the timely maintenance and easy detection of problems. All in all, it is good technology of maintenance to use but requires an extra pinch of attention.